The blogosphere is a funny place.
Normally, we are a bunch of civil and peaceful people. But every once in a while, something controversial yet so absurd happens that it deserves a place in the proverbial history books.
Jeff Ooi's legal battle against the New Straits Times was one. Dawn Yang's alleged case of cosmetic surgery was another.
A few days ago, another one of such ridiculous blog-related incident took place. It was such a big thing that I received no less than six messages asking if I knew about this.
It all happened when I received an e-mail from a guy claiming to be a "pro-blogger". This "pro-blogger" is about to tie the knot and marry his wife, and he sent me a mass-circulated e-mail that goes something like this:
My first reaction when I got that e-mail was "What the hell?"
My second reaction after I got that e-mail was "Bloody spam."
My third reaction was to click delete, and off to the depths of Gmail's trash can it went.
And the drama ended. Or so I thought.
The day after that, Blackjetta YC blogged about how she received a similar mail from the same "problogger".
Now, this "pro-blogger" wanted to get married, and he wanted YC to sponsor him customised wedding invitation cards in exchange of publicity for her freelance card-making business.
A novel concept? Yes. And one that COULD HAVE worked if it weren't for two things:
1. Nobody knows who the hell this "problogger" is.
2. The way he mass-circulated e-mails and asked for favours like he deserves it.
Seriously, if you were in the wedding business and you get a mass-circulated e-mail sent to you like that, what would your reaction be?
Wedding car? Diamond ring!? MORE WEDDING FAVOURS!?
Names are censored to protect the couple's identity. I mean, I would've at least told you who the groom is. But I don't think Colbert would like it very much.
At this point, I'd like to say that I despise the use of the word "pro-blogger".
Everyone can be a blogger, but to call yourself a "professional blogger" implies that you are better than everyone else. The term just smacks full of arrogance. I may be earning ad dollars from my blog, but I would NEVER call myself a "pro-blogger".
In Malaysia, "pro-bloggers" are typically those who have blogs set up with the SOLE PURPOSE of earning revenue through American-based ad agencies.
You go their site, and 70% of their page is covered in ads. Then you read the remaining 30% of their content and wtf all of them are freaking advertorials written with no heart and soul. Not only that, those ads are not even RELEVANT in the Malaysian context.
If you fall into that category, sorry but you cannot call yourself a "professional blogger". You can only call yourself a "spam blogger".
Not surprisingly after the whole fiasco, Colbert cancelled his plans to have a sponsored wedding citing "time-constraints". I think that's the right thing to do, and I extend my sincere congratulations to the couple.
But come to think of it, can you imagine what his wedding would be like if he actually went through with it?
What next? Probloggerbabies.com?