Today, I turn 24.
When I was 23 years old, I…
– was in KL and had no cake for my birthday.
– got so drunk I puked for the first time. This happened at a new friend’s Christmas gathering, and I puked in his house, on his couch, in front of everyone. Way to go, me.
– went kayaking for the first time.
– celebrated Chinese New Year alone for the first time.
– had someone plagiarise the photo I took for this website, sent it in to The Star, and won herself RM50 in the process.
– said goodbye for the first time.
– met Amber Chia for the first time.
– played golf for the first time.
– met Cheesie for the first time.
– completed a full 42km marathon for the first time. Total time spent: 6 hours 33 minues. I ran for 30km. The remaining 12km was spent limping and dragging my feet towards the finishing line.
– had my first column, “Blogroll with Kenny Sia”, published by KLue magazine.
– travelled to Phuket, busted my baht and had a good thai.
– had my car broken into. That son-of-a-bitch made away with my expensive car stereo and forgot to take my iPod nano.
– had a blast at the Rainforest World Music Festival with Joyce, Kevin and YC flying in from KL; and Arthur and IngHui coming in from Miri. Met Jojo for the first time.
– travelled to Hong Kong, and till this day I still can’t get over my annoyance at those Chinese aunties cutting my queues at Disneyland.
– said goodbye to my maternal grandfather for the last time.
– reunited with a primary school classmate Gladys for the first time after 13 years.
– started taking medications to treat my hair loss, and had my doctor using his finger to describe erectile dysfunction.
– travelled to Auckland, New Zealand for the first time.
– went bungy jumping for the first time.
– went Zorbing for the first time.
– received a job offer from my ex-boss in Perth that put me in a dilemma whether to remain in Kuching or utilise my Australian PR and move to Perth. For now, my decision is to stay.
– met Samantha for the first time.
– had The Most Awesomest Birthday Party™ last night, for the first time.
– and finally, puked my guts out for the second time.
Compared to last year, the past 12 months was less of an emotional rollercoaster and more of a joy ride.
When I was 23, I travelled to many places. I tried my hands at new things and breathed refreshing energy back into my life. Along the way I met countless new friends, friends that have grown to become an important backbone of my life and whom now I consider like my family. After going through the pain of losing a parent, this is exactly what I need.
Today, I turn 24 years old. The best (and worst) has yet to come. But I’m ready for it. All I gotta do is have the coconuts to tackle whatever life throws at me.
And coconuts, I have. Come what may.
Thanks to everyone who turned up for my party last night. Hope you guys had a blast, ‘cos I sure had.